. Regurgitated Alpha Bits: Seems About Right

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Seems About Right

As we do every year, we are using Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree to introduce the Depth and Complexity Icons we will use throughout the year. One icon is Unanswered Questions. For example:


Why did the tree call him "boy" when he was actually a man? 
Did the boy still love the tree when he got older? 
If I were the tree, would I have given so much to the boy? 

Students discuss their thoughts on each. It makes for interesting discussions, as students have to justify their positions on each question. 

And here is my favorite. I received it via email from a student. 

Question: Why was the boy so rude to the tree?
Answer: The boy was rude because he was older and his brain was older too so it can't think too much. 

Well, that explains a lot about me. Now I know it's all my old brain's fault. 

No comments: